Saturday, December 1, 2012

The EPIC Halloween unveiling!!!

So for weeks I spoke about the epic Halloween costume I was making, and how it took forever etc. I even got advice from some of the comments on here, and I have to say that I had one of the most epic Halloween costumes ever. I even won a best Halloween costume contest, even though no one at that particular party knew who I was supposed to be!

I now have a costume perfect for comicon. AND I made the whole thing on my own. I didn't make the material obviously, but I did sew the whole thing.

As I alluded to previously I was Totoro!! There's a pic of Totoro in the top left corner for your comparison. I never knew it was possible to be so amazingly proud at the completion of a project. I think it turned out super-cute, but I have to be entirely honest...I was inspired completely by this etsy shop darlingarmy. I saw the AWESOME pettiskirt apron that she made, and thought to myself, I can do that.

I have to say though, that after the fact, I think that she isn't charging enough for the aprons she sells. There is no way that she can charge $85 and be making any money. The material all cost quite a bit more than I thought. In the end though, I think it was worth it. This is only the second thing I've ever sewn, and the first I've ever done all on my own. It was kind-of a conglomeration of blog projects other people had. I combined them all to make the final product you see before you. Lots of effort too. I think I looked cute though, and I'll probably use this costume again some years down the road. So for giving credit where it is due.

The skirt was made entirely using a blog called Fickle Sense. Easiest skirt making instructions ever! I totally recommend going there. Anyone can make a skirt using these instructions. Mine is a full circle.

I originally planned to purchase a pettiskirt, but I couldn't find a grey one. So following my heart and the advice of friends I made one. I used the Make it & Love it blog tutorial (it may have been for a kid, but I just estimated how much more I would need for an adult. I think it worked out well. To change the dimensions I did 5, 10, and 15 yard tiers, with 30 yards on the bottom. Not as poofy, but just as awesome).

My epic costume then made its way to two parties. The first pictures are actually from the second party. Carlin was supposed to come with me to that one, but he was tired and so he bailed out (justifiably tired though from rock climbing, more on that to come).

The first party was one that a first-year friend of mine threw. It was really fun, and there were some AMAZINGLY creative costumes. I only was able to figure out what one "set" of costumes was though. The one I guessed was Sweeny-todd, even though I have never seen it. They were justifiably creepy. Ironically I only saw the cut guy and guessed Sweeny-Todd, he said that yeah they were from sweeny todd, and then he pointed to the other guy too. I laughed because I had though that the other guy was Snape from Harry Potter.

In my defense though, I had potter on the brain because Katrina and her boyfriend were bellatrix and Voldemort (They had to tell me what they were). Then there was the main-character from the film Brave, which I haven't seen still. Bailey was cute as her, and even had a bow and arrow.

The clowns were self-explanatory. I was even taught how to play cornhole. It was surprisingly more fun than I thought it would be. All in all, best Halloween in years!

1 comment:

Jay and Kay said...

good job! Jared likes all of Meosawki's movies. I know I spelled his name wrong, but I'm too lazy to see how to spell it. haha